This position provides career and employability skills advising using a holistic, developmental approach to advising. Serves as a career and employment advising liaison for all areas of the College. The position assists and guides students through the development of career awareness, career planning, career decision making skills and the knowledge and understanding of occupational, education, and labor market needs, trends and opportunities. Advise students concerning basic skill levels, degree and transfer requirements, course selection, academic status, and class expectations. Assist students in the creation of Educational Development Plans that reflect their educational goals and career objectives. Support recruitment and retention functions by communicating with potential students and referring students to available student support services. Leads small group activities and classroom presentations in the areas of career advising and employability skills. Assist in special projects as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist, guide and support students in the development of career awareness, planning and decision making skills.
- Research, develop, and conduct presentations (i.e. resume writing assistance, interviewing techniques, employability skills, networking, and relevant student employment service opportunities) for LCC classes, student organizations, student/alumni groups and professional/community organizations. Assist with the development/selection of career-related resources and career assessment tools (tests), as well as the coordination/presentation of career planning-related initiatives & programs.
- Collaborate with faculty to ensure effective communication between students and instructors.
- Advise students in all majors and transfer curricula. Interpret basic skill testing results.
- Develop and facilitate career advising seminars for students and professional development workshops for staff on a wide variety of LCC career advising resources.
- Serve as a career and employment services liaison with all areas of the College to coordinate the development of career planning resources and to ensure accurate advising information is communicated to students.
- Maintain and update student records, work with student databases.
- Assist in special projects as needed.
Additional Job Sources