Jackson National Life Insurance Company® ("Jackson®") has an opening for a User Experience Analyst. Jackson is one of the nation's largest and fastest growing financial services companies, with over $100 billion in total assets. We offer a range of retirement products and services including variable; fixed and fixed index annuities; term and permanent life insurance. Please visit our website at www.jackson.com for more information.
Conduct a wide range of user experience research and design activities to make Jackson software and websites useful, usable, and enjoyable for end-users. In addition to doing up-front research and design with development teams and their clients, establish post-implementation measures of usability to guide future versions of projects.
The individual will function as a member of the Systems & Programming Web Development Team, a talented mix of graphic designers and front-end web developers who assist a variety of clients across Jackson and its affiliate companies. As a solo user experience practitioner, the individual will have the opportunity to nurture and grow an established UX practice as Jackson itself grows.
Job Requirements (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Balance business goals with customer and end-user goals to propose the most appropriate user experience involvement for each project.
- Conduct user experience research to give development teams insight into end users' current environments, work needs, and productivity opportunities. Be proficient with both field research and lab research including the following methods:
- Contextual Inquiry
- Ethnographic Interview
- Usability Focus Group
- Usability Testing
- Low-fidelity sketches
- Advocate user experience best practice principles within IT's software development process.
- Handle multiple tasks and change priorities when necessary while maintaining focus on meeting project deadlines.
- Possess and maintain a high degree of organizational and follow-up skills.
- Work well with clients of varying backgrounds, engaging them with a friendly business-like style.
- Work under minimum direction and use independent judgment in decision-making.
- Stay aware of user experience advances as relayed by professional societies and publishing, and identify opportunities for sharing such findings with fellow Jackson associates.
- Teach and coach user experience strategies and tactics to Jackson associates as appropriate.
Education & Experience Required
- Graduate degree in a user experience-related discipline such as technical communication, human factors engineering, interaction design, human-computer interaction, anthropology, cognitive psychology, or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Five + years of experience applying UX methods such as usability testing, focus groups, cognitive walkthroughs, surveys, expert review, persona creation, field studies including contextual inquiry and ethnographic interview, paper prototyping.
- Portfolio of user experience research and design project work that demonstrates expertise in developing useful, usable, and enjoyable software and websites.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, public speaking, and interpersonal skills.
- Effective leadership skills balanced with good collaboration skills in team environments
- Effective use of Word, Excel, diagramming tools, screen recording tools, wireframing tools, and the ability to learn new tools as needed.
- Familiarity with the insurance/financial services industries.
- Experience in large IT departments